About the Treasurer
Dear Jackson County Taxpayers and Residents,
My goals as your Treasurer are simple - 1) to make paying property taxes in Jackson County as easy and as accessible as possible, and 2) to safely keep and distribute property tax money to taxing districts and 3) to help taxpayers understand problems and resolve issues related to property tax payment.
I have had the pleasure of working in public service for the past 23 years and know the value of running an efficient, professional, and helpful office. Everyone in my office will work hard to make sure your experience is one that reflects our dedication to the Jackson County community!
I have an open-door policy and will always work directly with taxpayers - please Email Liz Hunter or call 618-687-7350 to either address a question directly or set up a time to come into my office.
Jackson County Treasurer
Jackson County Treasurer & Collector Duties
The Jackson County Treasurer is responsible for overseeing the collection and distribution of real estate taxes in the county. Property taxes are collected in two installments, with distributions sent out to the many taxing bodies throughout the county. Duties related to property taxes include:
- Collection of annual property taxes with two due dates each year
- Sending notice of delinquent taxes
- Overseeing the annual tax sale of unpaid parcels
- Distributions of tax monies collected to taxing bodies throughout the county
- Annual reporting to the Illinois Department of Revenue
- Administering the Monthly Prepayment Program (MPP)
- Collection of mobile home taxes
- Refunding property owners for taxes paid prior to a correction or Sale in Error
The Treasurer is also charged with maintaining the financial operations of the county, including banking, collection of revenue, disbursement of accounts payable, investment management, establishing an investment policy, and financial reporting to the public and Jackson County Board.