The Jackson County Courthouse is open from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday - Friday. Masks are required in the Courthouse.
2019 Payable 2020 Property Taxes
2019 Payable 2020 Property Tax bills will be mailed out in the middle of July.
Real Estate Property Tax due dates:
1st installment: Thursday, Sept. 17, 2020
2nd installment: Tuesday, Nov. 17, 2020
Late penalties begin Nov. 18, 2020 and are not retroactive.
Ways to pay your bill without coming into the Courthouse:
- Pay online (available soon)
- Use the secure payment drop box at the top of the access ramp on the Chestnut Street entrance to the Courthouse (south entrance). Please do not deposit cash payments in the drop box.
- Mail your payment:
Jackson County Treasurer
P.O. Box 430
Murphysboro, IL 62966-0430
- Pay at your bank: most banks in Jackson County take property tax payments on or before due dates listed on the bill. Example: the first installment can be paid at a bank through Sept. 17, 2020 and the second installment can be paid through Nov. 17, 2020.
If you do need to come into the office:
- As of the date of this bill, anyone entering the Courthouse is required to wear a mask.
- The Courthouse is currently open from 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., M-F.
- The Treasurer’s Office lobby will only accommodate 4 people at a time in order to ensure a distance of 6 feet between taxpayers.
Mobile Home Taxes
August 3, 2020 is the due date for Mobile Home Taxes. By statute, a penalty of $25 a month up to $100 is charged after the deadline. Due to COVID-19, there is a 60 day waiver on late penalties. Late penalties will begin to be assessed according to statute on October 5, 2020.
Past Due Taxes
To inquire about redemption of past due taxes, please contact the County Clerk's Office at (618) 687-7360.
The Jackson County Treasurer is responsible for overseeing the collection and distribution of real estate taxes in the county. Property taxes are collected in two installments, with distributions sent out to the many taxing bodies throughout the county. Duties related to property taxes include:
- Collection of annual property taxes with two due dates each year
- Sending notice of delinquent taxes
- Overseeing the annual tax sale of unpaid parcels
- Distributions of tax monies collected to taxing bodies throughout the county
- Annual reporting to the Illinois Department of Revenue
- Administering the Monthly Prepayment Program (MPP)
- Collection of mobile home taxes
- Refunding property owners for taxes paid prior to a correction or Sale in Error
The Treasurer is also charged with maintaining the financial operations of the county, including banking, collection of revenue, disbursement of accounts payable, investment management, and financial reporting to the public and Jackson County Board.