In order to be married legally in Illinois you must obtain a license from the County Clerk of the county in which the ceremony will be performed. There are variations in fees and procedures among the counties; the following information applies to Jackson County only.
- A marriage license is valid for 60 days. Both persons must appear in the County Clerk's office in order to obtain the license.
- The fee is $50.00
- A license must be obtained at least one day before the marriage takes place.
- An applicant who is less than 18 years of age must have the written permission of both parents to marry.
Couples wishing to be married by a judge in the Courthouse should make arrangements well before the day with the Judges Administrative Secretary. Ceremonies are performed by appointment only. There is a $10 fee for this service, payable in advance at the Circuit Clerk's office.
More information is available by telephone:
- County Clerk's Office: (618) 687-7360
- Circuit Clerk's Office: (618) 687-7300