Jackson County government employs a variety of skilled workers from throughout the county. Jackson County is an equal opportunity employer. Check this page for any open job postings.
Additionally, The Jackson County Board is seeking qualified candidates to serve on boards to which they make appointments. Jackson County residents interested in putting their talents to work for the benefit of the County may find more information online here or by calling the Jackson County Board office at 618/687-7240.
Oraville Water District
- Salary/Pay Rate:n/a
- Posted Date:03/20/2017
Purpose: Oraville Water District is a nonprofit water system established to provide clean, safe potable water to portions of four Jackson County townships within certain outlined boundaries. A hired Secretary/Treasurer will ensure oversight and control of all District functions. The Board is governed by the Public Water District Act (70 ILCS 3705/). Job Characteristics, duties, and responsibilities of a Board Member are as follows:
- Establish and maintain a meeting schedule for the Board of Trustees
- Annually, organize the Board with a Chair and Vice-Chair
- Establish, update as necessary, and maintain operational policies and rules for the District
- Interact with other governmental, public, and private organizations to insure maximum public welfare and benefit of sufficient potable water
- Provide direction to the system operator and employees
- Manage the fiscal condition of the District to ensure financial viability of the system
- Set prices for the water product
- Establish and implement employment policies, job positions with descriptions, and employee performance review procedures for employees of the District
- Hire personnel and terminate personnel employment as necessary
- Develop contracts, let bids, sign contracts, and review contractor performance for services, employment, construction, or any other need in the production of water for the District
- Provide information to, and confer with, the public regarding operation of the system
- Hear and rule on customer issues and complaints as necessary
- Perform related functions as required
Members: Oraville Water District Board of Trustees shall consist of seven board members selected from water customers of the district. The District does not reimburse any expenses or pay its board members any fees. All members’ services are contributed and members often volunteer additional time and services during a water break, etc.
Conditions on Membership: All members must reside within the water district. No trustee or employee of such district shall be directly or indirectly interested in any contract, work or business of the district or the sale of any article, the expense, price or consideration of which is paid by such district, nor in the purchase of any real estate or property for or belonging to the district.
Meetings: All regular public meetings for the year of the Oraville Water District will be held on the first Thursday of the month beginning at 7:00 p.m. for the months January through March and November through December. The months of April through October will begin at 8:00 p.m. The meetings will be held at the office building in Ava.
Terms: Initial appointments to a seven member board shall be as follows: one for 1, one for 2, one for 3, two for 4, and two for 5 years. Thereafter on or after the first Monday in May of each year the appointing authority shall appoint a successor whose term shall be for 5 years commencing the first Monday in May of the year they are respectively appointed. There are no term limits.